This project involved the replacement of an existing legacy control system with a new SIEMENS PCS7 solution.
The existing TI (Texas Instruments) based control system, controlled the manufacturing process in several reactors, feeds tanks and the associated utilities. The equipment was to be repurposed for the introduction of a new product. Due to the age of the existing control system and the nature of the changes needed the existing control system was no longer suitable.
- SIEMENS PCS7
- ATEX ET200 iSP I/O
- SIEMENS Thin Clients
- At the same time a new filter dryer was also needed for the manufacturing of the new product. This initially came with its own control system, but the client wanted a single fully integrated recipe driven process control system.
- Both the legacy control system and dryer control system were replaced with a new SIEMENS PCS7 solution.
The main components of which were:
- • 1300 I/O – reactors, feed tanks, utilities and filter dryer
- • Virtualised redundant PCS7 OS servers
- • Virtualised PCS7 & Batch clients
- • Virtualized redundant SIMATIC Batch servers
- • Virtualised Process Historian server for the collection of GMP batch data.
- • VMware ESXi hypervisors and network storage
- • 3 SIMATIC AS-410 controllers with SIMATIC ATEX ET200 iSP Remote I/O including safety I/O
- • 5 SIMATIC ATEX thin clients
- • 13 ABB ACS880 VSD’s
- The system was fully implemented and delivered during COVID-19 with development in multiple locations and remote/virtual customer FAT. The system was delivered to site in stages to coincide with mechanical and electrical completion. The system was commissioned and fully validated (SAT, IQ and OQ).
The project was successfully delivered in line with client requirements.